3.22.2011

kiki's kitchen.

By no means am I ever going to claim that I LOVE to cook, but I do LOVE to eat, so I figure I am up to the challenge. My sister gave me the most amazing, thoughtful Christmas gift ever this year- it is a personalized cookbook with all of our family recipes, the ones I am constantly calling her for. This gift sparked my interest, and yes, I know it was 3 months ago, but I am now proclaiming here, to everyone, that I am officially going to familiarize myself with the kitchen.

I knew it was bad today when I went to the grocery to get ingredients for my most recent endeavor, Chinese Chicken Salad, and I found myself feeling very inadequate, almost embarrassed. I am not exaggerating when I say I called my sister (a.k.a. Martha Stewart), TEN TIMES. The most pathetic question was, "are chives the same thing as green onions?" Once I got past finding all of the ingredients (with the help of Sally and a very nice employee) I entered the danger zone- preparation! Sally received another set of 5 or 6 phone calls at this time....PATHETIC. Well, I made it through and I documented the experience. The salad was AMAZING and just as I had remembered. I feel very proud and even motivated to continue on my mission to at least be able differentiate between onions and cloves.

So, this is the first of my reccomendations. If I can do it, anyone can!

Recipe: Chinese Chicken Salad (Compliments of the Tesner Women, Thank You!)

Dressing:
1 clove garlic
¼ c Taragon Vinegar
¼ c Soy sauce
2T sugar
1t dry mustard
3/4t minced ginger
1/2t Worchester Sauce
3/4c Peanut Oil
2T Oriental Sesame Oil

Salad:
½ grilled chicken breast per person
Cabbage- 1 large handful per person (1 large head cabbage)
Scallions (1 or 2 bunches)
Slivered Almonds
Chow Mein Noodles
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Mix it well and be generous with the dressing










No comments:

Post a Comment